Dog breath is never pleasant. In fact, for some owners, it is probably up there with the worst smells on the planet.
They just want to give you a kiss but the thought of that tongue anywhere near you is less than pleasant. The thought of anything they may have eaten when on their walk to make their breath so smelly is even worse…
As seeing they can’t have some chewing gum (or even ordinary human mints due to the high percentage of sugars and xylitol), brushing their teeth and giving them regular dental chew treats is the best way to freshen their breath.
But this can be tricky and sometimes, their teeth can be clean but their breath doesn’t match! So, one way to beat the pong is to make their very own baked dog breath mints.
By making homemade dog treats and foods, you know exactly what goes into them. And the recipe below only uses the finest natural ingredients, so you can be sure that they are good for their insides as well as their breath!
Homemade Dog Breath Mints
You will need:
- 225g old fashioned oats – pulsed in a blender
- 15g fresh parsley, chopped
- 15g fresh mint, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 60ml water
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 160C and line a baking tray with paper
- Combine the eggs, water, oil, mint, and parsley together in a mixing bowl
- Fold in the pulsed oats bit by bit until it resembles a dough
- Roll this out flat, until around 1cm thick
- Use a cutter (or something similar) to cut out the biscuits
- Bake for around 30 minutes
The great thing is that they will keep in an airtight container for around 3 months – so they are always going to be to hand when emergencies happen!
It would be a great idea to buy an animal-themed cookie cutter, such as a bone shape or pawprint. This way, they are truly your dog’s treats (and no snack raiders in your home will lay their hands on them by accident!)
How many the dough will make depends on the size of your cutter. You can experiment with different sizes, such as bite-sized treats or something a bit bigger which they can really get their mouth around.